I Have a Crush on Sarah Palin That’s Why I Won’t Vote for Her

Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin - photo via Wikipedia

Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown.

And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves.

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a “community organizer,” except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don’t quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren’t listening.

- Transcript: Gov. Sarah Palin at the RNC

The first time I laid eyes on Sarah Palin I was still half awake. I just dreamt about her nomination. There I was staring at the TV witnessing a beautiful woman standing by John McCain announcing her candidacy as VP.

Sarah who? At first I thought I was so politically ignorant that I didn’t even know her. It soon turned out that the media people (and some people in her own party) were also scampering to find out who she really is.

So who is Sarah Palin? It depends on who you want believe–the media, the internet, the Republicans, the Democrats, the people around her, or whoever she says she is. But this I know for sure. I have a crush on her. I was overpowered by her allure.

Who wouldn’t? She’s driven, politically savvy, athletic, intelligent, eloquent, charismatic, and an all around super hockey mom who has a big beautiful family with uber-adorable babies. She’s a perfect image of an all-American mom. Even Craig Ferguson succumbed to her “naugthy librarian” charm. I love books. Naughty librarians make me :)

But what about her experience? Well, she used to be a basketball player, a member of the PTA, mayor of Wasilla and now Governor of Alaska. Beauty, athletics, politics, and brains all in one package. Droool!

And then there’s her historic and infamous acceptance speech. Forget those lowly celebrities. A star is born.

+100 Crush points

Sarah Palin rose to the occasion amidst the unbearable whiteness of the Republican National Convention. The Republican base is energized with a speech full of condescension. People are excited. They haven’t been this excited with John McCain. We’ve got a star in our midst! Screw the issues! We might have a shot at this election after all! USA! USA!

Some say Palin is a willing sacrificial lamb in this election. If she is, then she’s faking it real good. She looks like she’s playing to win. They don’t call her “Sarah Barracuda” for nothing. I’m looking forward to how she’ll charm Joe Biden in the debate. Biden better not look into her eyes for too long lest his foreign policy experience would melt like ice cream on a hot plate.

Hello, world!

But the more I get to know Sarah Palin the more I realize that my crush on her is so fleeting. She’s a projection of my own narcissism. I admire her looks, her brains and her overall packaging. But beneath the surface of her charm, her worldview give me pause and alarm. The reality is, our views are worlds apart. I vote with my worldview and my understanding of issues, and for me, Sarah Palin doesn’t make the cut.

But I couldn’t get myself angry at Palin. It’s John McCain that I look down in disdain for using her and toying with the election in the most powerful nation on Earth. The Republicans are desperate and they know they can’t win on issues. That’s why they opted to play the game of “How low can you go?”

Sam Harris put it bluntly and succinctly:

Americans have an unhealthy desire to see average people promoted to positions of great authority. No one wants an average neurosurgeon or even an average carpenter, but when it comes time to vest a man or woman with more power and responsibility than any person has held in human history, Americans say they want a regular guy, someone just like themselves. President Bush kept his edge on the “Who would you like to have a beer with?” poll question in 2004, and won reelection.

This is one of the many points at which narcissism becomes indistinguishable from masochism. Let me put it plainly: If you want someone just like you to be president of the United States, or even vice president, you deserve whatever dysfunctional society you get. You deserve to be poor, to see the environment despoiled, to watch your children receive a fourth-rate education and to suffer as this country wages — and loses — both necessary and unnecessary wars.

McCain has so little respect for the presidency of the United States that he is willing to put the girl next door (soon, too, to be a grandma) into office beside him. He has so little respect for the average American voter that he thinks this reckless and cynical ploy will work.

Exactly. This is the kind of politics I loathe in my developing country of origin. I’m disheartened to see it happening here in America, yet again.

The sad thing is that there’s a chance that McCain’s ploy might work. But I have faith and I’m optimistic that majority of the American people would see through the cracked character of a once noble politician that is John McCain.

I still have a crush on Sarah Palin. But I don’t love her worldview, her party and her politics. They give good rallying speeches. But their message comes across to me as: Screw your community, Country first, and the hell with the rest ‘em!

As I write this I’m awaiting for John McCain’s acceptance speech, and Barack Obama’s appearance on the O’Reilly Factor. Now this would be entertaining.

P.S. What the f*ck is a community organizer anyway?

Donate Bitcoins
[Thanks! I could use some coffee :) ]

1. dudism56@gmail.com wrote::

That quote from this Harris character was the most disgusting elitist crap I ever laid eyes on.

We’d be a hell of a lot better off with “average people” running the show than these egomaniacs who think we don’t deserve to live. They’re doing a bangup job of screwing over the average Joe right now. So I’ll take my chances with the “average” Sarah Palin.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 9:34 pm #
  2. Max Gladwell wrote::

This election is not about Democrats or Republicans, liberals or conservatives. It’s about the incumbent party and the economy.

The Dow dropped 3% yesterday. The employment numbers are bad and getting worse. We’re in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, and it’s spreading globally. There is a political truth that Clinton proved in ’92: when the economy is in trouble, the incumbent party gets voted out. The parties know this. It’s not a big secret b/c it dates back to Hoover.

The GOP knows they’ve already lost, but they certainly won’t act like it. They’re not going to lay down. But what they won’t do is subject a qualified and promising candidate to this type of defeat. The good ones are being saved until 2012. In this sense, Palin is a sacrificial lamb. But she’s willing to play this role in exchange for the national exposure. Sure she’s going to do her best. That’s a part of the deal. Build her brand as she’s sacrificed on the alter of political history.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 12:23 am #

Max,

the more i think about your theory the more i consider it to be very plausible. however, i think you’ve got it a little mixed up. it’s McCain who is the sacrificial lamb here, not Palin.

consider these:

- McCain is not the preferred candidate of the Republicans. he got lucky to win the nomination.

- using your logic, if the Republicans already know that they would lose this election anyway, then might as well screw up McCain’s campaign and while grooming another candidate in the process (i.e. Palin). that’s two birds with one stone. think about it. maybe that’s why McCain’s speech was delivered in front of an ugly green and blue screen :)

- look at the figures right now. in just a few days, Palin overtook McCain in Google trends (as of this writing Palin has generated 68 million searches). she’s now a household name. it’s now between Obama and Palin, not McCain.

so who’s the sacrificial lamb now?

as for 2012, it’s still a big gamble for the GOP because they are banking on the following:

- Obama would do a terrible job as president.

- Palin would continue to be a household name in the next four years.

- Hillary will run against Obama in 2012.

so it’s a long stretch for the GOP to play this card. but so far, their Palin strategy seems to be working like a charm.

it just makes me sad to see McCain succumb to his party strategy instead of rising to the occasion and be the maverick that he once was.

my two cents.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 9:10 am #
  4. Max Gladwell wrote::

McCain won the nomination because it was his turn. It was Mondale’s turn in ’84, Dole’s turn in ’96, Gore’s turn in ’00, and Kerry’s turn in ’04. That’s how politics works. It was also Hillary’s turn this year, which makes Obama’s win so spectacular. You could say that he actually defeated the Dems by winning the nomination, and now he’ll beat the GOP.

The VP selection process is not what it seems. There is a negotiation between candidate and party. Obama’s “choice” of Biden was not wholly his own. It was an excellent choice in my opinion. It’s a strong ticket. But it was the party’s choice just as much as it was Obama’s. In the case of JFK, the party told him that Johnson would be his running mate.

At the time of McCain’s nomination, it wasn’t 100% clear that the economy would be the central issue. It’s now polling at about 45% as people’s #1 issue. The GOP knew this in making its VP selection, and so did the list of VP candidates. Palin is getting a lot of praise from the GOP base, but she has zero cross-over appeal. She’s not a viable candidate now or ever. She’ll end up no better than Ferraro in the years to come. The GOP needed someone who wanted to become a national figure but was willing to take the brutal loss. They didn’t care about the experience issue or having her next in line for the presidency b/c they knew it would never happen. At least now the GOP can say it put a woman on a presidential ticket, just as the Dems did in ’84. It’s bragging rights. It improves the GOP image. It’s a win-win-win-lose situation for the GOP.

The GOP knows the mess Obama will inherit. It’ll take more than 4 years to fix, and Obama will be left blaming Bush in 2012. So they’ll have an excellent chance to reclaim the WH, and they’ll want the strongest, freshest, most competent ticket. Palin will not be on it. Meg Whitman, Christine Whitman, or Kay Bailey Hutchison might be.

And so Palin will have fallen on her sword for the GOP, sacrificing her chances of ever getting nominated again in exchange for a national profile. But I don’t think anyone in the GOP knew about the pregnancy and other baggage. If they did, then they didn’t care. After all, she’s just a sacrificial lamb.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 9:40 am #

Max, interesting points. though i’d still think that McCain is *also* a sacrificial lamb in this election.

as for Palin, if she’s as intelligent as they paint her to be, then i think she weighed in the pros and cons of being a “sacrificial lamb.” i don’t think she’s that clueless and ignorant to sacrifice her family just to be a sacrificial lamb herself. i suspect that she knows what she’s doing and going for the household name for her own political (and financial?) gain. she’s a “barracuda” not a Mother Teresa.

when the dust settles, (assuming that she doesn’t botch up the campaign) Palin will come out a winner. expect to have Palin memoirs on your nearest bookstores and Amazon.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 9:50 am #

P.S. every person who uses their brain already know this: Palin VP nomination is not only vulnerable but very devious. the McCain campaign is pandering to the uninformed.

see also: A Convention and a Running Mate Unlike Any Other – Norman J. Ornstein

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 10:04 am #
  7. NinjaMaster Dave wrote::

Dude, I know exactly how you feel. I think I have a crush on her too. Trick is to think of McCain during those golden moments. Warning: Using this technique may cause vomiting.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 1:51 pm #
  8. ShutUp! wrote::

Which word don’t you understand, Community or Organizer Which word don’t you understand, Community or Organizer? You don’t understand the simple concept of a community organizer and yet you feel intellectually qualified to cast aspersions? If Obama boy gets elected, God help US; we’re in for an e-ticket ride and you will NOT enjoy it when the cart jumps the track. The media blames Bush for all the ills of society, yet foolishly ignores that few changes due to the presidency are immediate. A battle ship takes a long time to change course. We are just now experiencing the consequences of Clinton’s Presidency. The next 4-8 years we’ll harvest the fruit of Bush’s, and 12-16 years from now we’ll reap the harvest of our next President.

The problem with so many is they actually believe what they see and hear on TV and radio. Ask yourself, how can you possibly KNOW anything if you can’t see or experience it yourself? Even then it’s questionable. Our society pokes fun at Christians for their faith and yet the bulk of society has blind faith in the ‘reality’ the media presents as fact. Few people have personal discernment, they can’t use rational thought, they have no conscience guide them. They enjoy being pawns in the game of politics.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 1:29 pm #

Dear ShutUp! (aka anonymous coward),

i have one link for you:

have a great day.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 2:55 pm #
  10. Dean wrote::

I feel bad because Palin maked me dislike McCain less. Scary.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 7:31 am #
  11. lensuniverse wrote::

McCain “won” the nomination more by default due to the perceived dearth of candidates considered qualified by the heart and soul of the GOP

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 11:54 pm #

Trackback/Pingback (1)

1. I Just Casted My Vote for Obama-Biden < ~C4Chaos on Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm

[...] I Have a Crush on Sarah Palin That’s Why I Won’t Vote for Her [...]