I Had a Dream: John McCain Picked a Woman as VP Running Mate

I’m standing in a hallway. There’s tension in the air. McCain just picked a woman as his VP running mate. His advisers are divided. They are arguing. I hear a loud voice, “there goes our ‘experience’ argument against Obama out the window!” I’m watching two of McCain’s advisers arguing over the issue. One of them is a man, the other is a woman Senator (her name is Hutchison). Their argument continues. We are now in some kind of a courtroom. I’m on the sideline watching them debating. I’m tapping on my iPhone. I wake up.

“Since when did they announce the VP pick?” I asked my wife while I rub my eyes. “Just now.” she said.

“That’s weird, I just dreamt about it.”

I kid you not. This is an actual dream I had this morning, before I even heard the announcement on CNN that McCain had picked Sarah Palin as his VP.

I don’t think it’s psychic, prophetic, clairvoyant, or anything supernatural. I think it’s because our subconscious picks up stuff and process information even when we’re sleeping, and then spins them in our dreams. I was just caught off-guard of how timely and accurate my dream was. I wish I had dreamt of lottery numbers instead.

What really struck me was not the VP choice but the name I remembered in my dream. First, I’m not familiar with a woman Senator named Hutchison. I don’t follow politics that close. So my jaw dropped when I googled her. Some wild coincidence (or serendipity), I suppose. Too bad there’s no way for me to validate that part of my dream (i.e. she’s the one who influenced McCain to pick a woman as VP running mate). On second thought, I just googled Senator Hutchison’s reaction:

DALLAS — U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said John McCain’s choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate is a bold move designed to sway independent women voters.

The seasoned senator said by choosing the little-known 44-year-old governor, McCain is making it clear that he wants an “up and comer,” a vice president who represents “the next generation” of leadership.

“This reinforces that Sen. McCain wants to be the independent reformer change ticket — he’s not ceding that to Sen. Obama,” Hutchison said, adding that being an outside-the-beltway governor may work in her favor.

This is so freakin’ weird.

Anyway, regardless of my dream, I couldn’t disagree more with Senator Hutchison (and all the GOP talking heads who are spinning this issue). This is an insult to women voters across party lines. Not because I think Sarah Palin is an inexperienced soccer mom. I’d give it to her that she’s charismatic, beautiful, eloquent, and has experience governing the state of Alaska. But c’mon! To pick her as a Hillary Clinton surrogate is just plain dumb and pandering to the lowest order. I have more to say about this but I’ll just summarize it like this:

Hillary Clinton = *experience*, not *gender*. Sarah Palin VP pick is not a bold move for McCain. it’s political suicide. that is all.

Don’t just take my word for it. Here’s a perspective from a woman. Danah Boyd is deeply offended.

As a woman, I’m offended. I’m offended that McCain is choosing a woman who is clearly ill-equipped to be the president of this country in an effort to woo over Hillary’s supporters. I’m offended because McCain’s decision is one of the most misogynist ones I’ve seen in recent history. Does he honestly believe that women in this country are so stupid as to believe that any woman is a substitute for another woman? That all that us women boil down to is our XX chromosomes and estrogen? C’mon now.

Don’t get me wrong – I want to see women in the highest positions of power in this country. But I don’t just want any woman. I want women in power who have earned the respect and worked to achieve said power. I want women who are chosen because of what they have done, not how they look in a political power game.

Exactly. I’m not a woman, and I’m still offended.

If PUMA (and others who are just voting based on gender) don’t see through this as a desperate move from McCain, and still vote for him (in protest over Obama), then so be it. They’ll look back in history as having thrown their votes instead of casting them with intelligence, wisdom and dignity. It’s also a grave disrespect for Hillary and what she stands for. I say this as someone who had been torn between Obama and Hillary during the primary.

I know it’s still early. But mark my words. John McCain had jumped the shark with his VP pick. This is the final nail on the McCain campaign coffin. Obama-Biden victory is just around the corner. So I guess I owe McCain a big one.

Thank you and Happy Birthday, Mr. John McCain. Congratulations on the nomination. Let’s get it on!

Donate Bitcoins
[Thanks! I could use some coffee :) ]

1. caesar_bc wrote::

Who is Palin??? Why should she be one heartbeat away from the Presidency??
    I do NOT want to hear anyone arguing that Obama is inexperienced… EVER AGAIN!!!

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 8:06 pm #
  2. caesar_bc wrote::

Who is Palin??? Why should she be one heartbeat away from the Presidency??
    I do NOT want to hear anyone arguing that Obama is inexperienced… EVER AGAIN!!!
    It is clear to me that Mccain is using women as a tool… just to gain votes for him. The Biden choice is a respectful one, because it was to benefit the country… the Palin choice, I’m not so sure about… it seems as though it was carefully crafted to benefit Mccain only, which is rather disingenuous to women and I hope Hillary voters see right through it!
    It just goes to show you that you do not have to have political experience anymore – you can be a “hockey mom” and be one heartbeat away from the presidency nowadays.
    I can’t wait for the debates between Palin and Biden, and she has to explain the difference between Sunni and Shia… she will be looking for Liebermann.
    Plus – I listened to conservative talk radio all day, and understand that conservatives only like her because she is “HOT” – that’s it! Because she is “hot.” This should alarm every American voter, and raise suspicion for anyone who knows a conservative, because this is what they think about. Clearly the wrong head they are thinking with, if they have brains at all.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 8:27 pm #

apparently, even Craig Ferguson is feeling the *hotness* too ;) http://bit.ly/4nYqmb

on a serious note, i think that the GOP is also divided on this. yeah, maybe some are happy. it’s to be expected that GOP talking heads will defend this choice for the sake of party loyalty.

but i think deep inside the GOP party is divided with McCain’s decision. maybe worse than the DNC tension between Obama and the Clintons.

for instance, when GOP talking heads are asked whether Palin is the *best* Republican choice for VP, nobody could answer the question with a straight face. they immediately go on the Obama “experience” offensive. go figure.

mark my words. when all is said and done, Obama-Biden will win by a landslide. the millennial (and conscientious women) demographic will make sure of this.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 8:43 pm #
  4. Kerry Diehl wrote::

I doubt McCain will speak of Obama’s inexperience from this time forward with the zeal he or the RNC has done in the past.

The lack of experience for a VP is not as critical as is for the Presidential candidate, but in this case, it is only reasonable to be concerned considering McCain’s age given the pressures of being President and all that it entails.

Sarah Pilan’s experience seems to be at least on a par with Obama’s or perhaps may exceed Obama’s in that he is more of a legislative person than executive decision maker. (Both are smart individuals, fast learners and capable of handling what is thrown at them.)

Looking back in time, I would venture a guess that she is far more capable and smart than the Georgia peanut farmer we (myself included) voted in many many moons ago. As an added plus, there won’t be any scandalous shenanigans as with the Clinton such as Lewinski or “Whitewater”.

What I DO like is that she truly is NOT the typical Washington styled politician (Democrat or Republican) who we all despise so deeply. With a 9% approval rating, no incumbent in the Congress or Senate should be re-elected!!

Should Sarah Pilan be suddenly thrust into the position of Presidency, my bet is she would do just fine and prove to be one of our all-time best leaders. Times of tragedy, emergency and disaster have a tendency to bring out the very best in some individuals regardless of previous experience. From first impressions, she is a leader. There are thinkers, talkers and doers…..she has proved already to be more of a “doer” and willing to go against the grain to do what is right.

Let’s give her a chance to show us all what she is made of and how she handles herself. Sarah Pilan represents a possible true change to politics in Washington and a breath of fresh air to the existing political manure pile.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 9:14 pm #

FYI. Alternet has an interesting take on this.

see An Ex-Beauty Queen for VP: Political Risk or Political Genius?

i say it’s *devious*.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 2:49 am #
  6. http://datinggod.typ wrote::

oh rommel . . . did you not read my post from a couple of weeks back on what psychic info is??? http://datinggod.typepad.com/datinggod/2008/08/so-not-faux.html. no need to freak, it’s just evolution, baby :)

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 7:31 am #

Kate, i missed that post. thanks for the link. will go ahead and check it out.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 9:38 am #
  8. O.M. wrote::

And there was this other guy with only legislative experience, who got defeated in more elections than he won, what the heck was his name, Abraham somethingorother, I think the last name started with an L.
    Seriously, the parallels with Obama and Lincoln are amazing; a friend of mine has researched them.
    Thank you for your thoughts !!!!
    I don’t want to get into the dream stuff except to say that to me, supernatural is natural.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 12:53 am #

OM,

“To me the main question in this election is who will do the least damage to this country, and the answer is clearly Obama !”

i agree. but i prefer to look at it from a glass half-full perspective rather than the “lesser evil” attitude. i prefer to cast my vote *inspired* (with reservations) than casting it with cynicism.

“Hillary’s experience in what as what, doesn’t say anything good to me!! And have you really really researched the political history of the Clintons???”

have you researched the history of Palin? i’m still in the process of looking into it.

see: http://friendfeed.com/search?q=Sarah+Palin&who=c4chaos

and what from what i see, it makes me want to vote for Obama even more.

using the same logic you use on Obama, do you think Sarah Palin would do lesser damage compared to Hillary Clinton’s political history?

as for Hillary Clinton, how about this. 18 million votes say that they prefer Hillary Clinton (more than Obama) because (or in spite) of her political history. what i’m saying is that these people are not just attracted by Clinton’s gender but her *experience* as politician.

and my dear OM, i may not know everything about Hillary, but i know this: Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

here’s another good take on the feminism perspective:

A Bad Year for Feminism – by Sherrilyn Ifill

btw, i don’t like spreading ugly rumors but i’ve been following this since it broke. and these allegations seem to have legs.

see Sarah Palin pregnancy speculations – http://bit.ly/1mC5DB
    (update: looks like we can now put a lid on this ugly rumor – http://bit.ly/uacys)

Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm #
  11. I didn’t dream it, but I wish I did – and did some eye rubbing of my own here:

Maybe you’re a bit psychic?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 11:43 am #

Anthony, thanks for sharing your take on this. you said:

As I dug deeper it became more ominous – surely he knew her? Was familiar with her and her policy history? Nope – he had met her once prior to offering her the gig. But this weekend he told FOX News’ resident assface-in-chief Chris Wallace that Palin is his “soulmate.” Seriously? Am I dreaming this?

OMFG! tell me you didn’t hear that straight talk from McCain! anyway, i’m no longer surprised.

i’m just glad to see that “More And More Polls Show Obama’s Lead Expanding”- http://bit.ly/3RSAXr

i’m no psychic. but to me, this election is already a done deal. so Obama-Biden better make good on their promises. i have reservations, but overall, i’m optimistic.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 11:51 am #

Trackbacks/Pingbacks (4)

1. i just had the weirdest dream « ~C4Chaos on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 3:13 am

[...] am on August 30, 2008 | # | Tags: dream, John McCain, politics, Sarah Palin i just had the weirdest dream [...]

2. [...] first time I laid eyes on Sarah Palin I was still half awake. I just dreamt about her nomination. There I was staring at the TV witnessing a beautiful woman standing by John McCain announcing her [...]

3. [...] If you follow the election too closely you’ll get prophetic nightmares. [...]

4. The Pulse: Pick a ditty. - Barack Obama Videos on Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm

[...] John McCain’s VP Pick Image by ~C4Chaos rip-mix-burned on ~C4Chaos: I Had a Dream: John McCain Picked a Woman as VP Running Mate [...]