RE: Jennifer Aniston Getting Friendly With Ken Wilber

jennifer_aniston_1280
Uploaded by Yamone on 14 May ’06, 3.20am PDT.

The word is out. Grace and Grit is set to be adapted as a movie, with Jennifer Aniston already signed up to play Treya. Kim Voynar at Cinematical has a cool article about it with a cool title: Jennifer Aniston Getting Friendly With Ken Wilber. Yep, Jennifer is a good choice for the role of Treya. She’s one of the good underrated actress out there. I want to see her shine on this one. Preferrably, without her gorgeous locks.

I’ve read Grace and Grit years ago, alone in my studio apartment while I was lying on a carpeted floor. This book is very emotional, and philosophically and spiritually deep. I think there were parts of the book when I actually had tears in my eyes. There, I said it.

This is the second book I read by Ken Wilber. I jumped to this book after reading A Brief History of Everything. That book floored my intellectual capacity during that time. I wanted to know more about the man, but more of his personal side rather than the intellectual and philosophical persona. So I picked up Grace and Grit instead, and then I had some understanding of the man behind the theories. I got a glimpse of his humanity and I’ve gotten to know a wonderful human being named Treya.

But the real question is: Who the heck would play Ken Wilber in the movie?

Since the book is very emotional I think they should get actors who could really act. Assuming they have the budget for these actors, here are my picks:

Russell Crowe — his role on A Beautiful Mind would be a cool portrayal of the uber-geeky side of Wilber

Tom Hanks — no question, Tom is an awesome actor. and after his role in The Da Vinci Code, he could use a good haircut, er, bald head.

Edward Norton — is also a cool pick. his role in American History X where he shaved his head reminds me of a young Wilber.

Sean Penn — i think he’s the best actor of them all on this list. he’s a very emotional dude. he can put the much needed emotional power punch on this movie.

Hugh Jackman — i think this dude is close when it comes to Wilber’s physique. just shave his head, put a cool designer eye glasses on his face and he’ll be a dead ringer for Wilber.

Patrick Stewart — if only he’s a couple of decades younger. let’s reserve him for One Taste the movie.

Woody Harrelson — i don’t know. you tell me.

Brad Pitt — he’s also a good actor and i think he has no problem shaving his head. he also did a lot of indie films like Jennifer. so i think that’s the perfect
combination. the press coverage alone would make this movie a big hit. LOL.

But anyway, I really hate to speculate so I decided to do some fishing from the man himself. So I asked Ken who he thinks would be the best actor to play him in the movie. Here’s what he has to say:

Lord, I don’t know. Kristin’s (Jen A’s partner) first choice is Johnny Depp, but that doesn’t really work for me.  But I am fundamentally just standing back from all of this, following Michael Crichton’s advice to me:

"Advice from a much-experienced person: have no hopes at all.  Au contraire, expect the final picture to be a disaster, an outrage, and a horrible embarrassment.  Then, if by some amazing chance it is not, you will be delightfully surprised."

Yah, you can quote this.  kw

Yep. I think Michael Crichton is right. I’ve read Timeline and it was awesome. But the movie sucked big time.

1. kate wrote::

wow . . . I haven’t been so freakin pleased in so long to hear about a book being made into a movie . . . this is one of my favorite books of all time . . . I;ve read it a half doane times . . . it inspires me and reminds me how hard it is to be human and how important it is to just face what Life is bringing . . it is one of the reasons that I became a Hospice volunteer and why I am doing an internship in a cancer services program . . . oh please oh please may they capture the gorgeousness and awfulness and Yes This Is Life that is Grace and Grit . . . wow . . .

Friday, July 21, 2006 at 5:37 pm #
  2. Tom A. wrote::

It’s simple: Wilber should play himself. Lord knows he has the ego to attempt it. And I am sure he won’t be shy about shaving his head. Besides, KDub already has played himself at half his age as a novelist.

There is precedent for this sort of thing: Mohammad Ali played himself in The Greatest. Audie Murphy played himself in To Hell and Back. Donald Trump played himself in The Apprentice.

But if Ken won’t do it, then there’s the obvious choice, Vince Vaughn! OR, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmerer are out of work; they might do it for scale.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 at 10:34 pm #
  3. Nicq MacDonald wrote::

As I was watching A Scanner Darkly the other day, I was thinking to myself- if I was ever going to cast someone as Ken Wilber, Robert Downey Jr. would be it. Seriously, look at him, with a shaved head, a pair of red wilber-specs and his rapid, precise and erudite yet casual manner of speech.

Yes, Robert Downey Jr. is the man to play Ken. For sure.

Though I could see Ed Norton, too, and he’s probably a more likely choice.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 1:26 pm #
  4. Tom A. wrote::

KWilb should be played by the first digitalized movie character using the form of Yul Brenner, the King from “The King and I.”

As I see it, “Grit and Grace” [I’ve switched the title around. It’s more macho this way. Besides, Ken is ‘Grit’ and he simply must have first billing.] should be a vast made-for-TV musical. Lavish sets. Lots of dancing.

We will need more action sequences than the book provides. Maybe a plane explosion with brave dancing firemen symbolizing something yet to be determined.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 7:52 am #
  5. ~C4Chaos wrote::

Tom, before i engage your heckling and commenting, let me ask you this. have you actually read the book “Grace and Grit”? let’s be honest now.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 11:01 am #
  6. Tom A. wrote::

I saw the movie “Love Story,” Ceefour. I know what to expect.

I am not truly dismissive of KDub’s tragic story, it is just a matter of, well, how did Che Guevara say it in the beginning of Evita? ‘She’s not the first one who has died.’

The meaning being — in context of THAT play — that celebrities’ deaths are not more momentous that that of the rest of us. Death should be the great equalizer. I mean, SOMETHING should be. Do we have to kiss the pinky ring, even of corpses?

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 9:47 am #
  7. ~C4Chaos wrote::

“‘She’s not the first one who has died.'”

yep you’re right. but it’s not about because she died. it’s how she (they) faced death and how she lived. and the way they went through it, my friend, is quite unique. you can forget all about Wilber in this book coz it’s all about Treya.

sorry man, we have no context for discussion here if you haven’t read the book.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 11:47 am #
  8. Tom A. wrote::

I have a request/hold on the copy of the book at the Sacramento Municipal Library. I will read the book with a more than open mind.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 1:59 pm #
  9. ~C4Chaos wrote::

now we’re talking. i always knew that behind the heckling is a mind wide-open 😉

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 3:46 pm #
  10. darren wrote::

I think Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, Robert Downey Jr. or John Cusack would all be good for the part.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 at 5:18 pm #
  11. Bernard Lavy wrote::

Wow, awesome blog format! How long have yoou ever
    been running a blog for? you made running a blog look easy.
    The full glance off ypur site is excellent,
    as neatly as the content material!

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 8:51 am #