Same-sex Marriage in the Philippines

I was caught off-guard when I read a Boingboing post about a gay marriage in the Philippines. In a country where divorce is not yet legalized, where GLBTs are still generally frowned/laughed upon, and where traditional Catholic values are still predominant, this could’ve been a momentous cultural leap had it been sanctioned by the government or a major religious group. However, it turned out that the ceremony was performed within the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) — a minority rebel group (classified as terrorists by the U.S.) whose purpose is to overthrow the government and gain independence. Aside from maybe being sincere in their “progressive” thinking, sanctioning a gay marriage is another form of making a “statement” of their “independence.” I’d take that any day, than them making their statements through kidnappings, bombings, and endless warfare (at least the U.S. can forget about using the “gay bomb” on them). But I doubt that this will make a dent on the conservative mentality of Filipinos. And I don’t see gay people joining the CPP/NPA in droves just to enjoy the privileges of same-sex marriage. I’m not downplaying the issue of same-sex marriage, but I think that Filipinos (in general) have to be comfortable first with divorce, contraception, and sexuality before addressing same-sex marriage. Even The Simpsons gets the heat for treading on this issue.

(pahabol: my best wishes to Ka Andres and Ka Jose. make love, not war.)

1. Anny ontoy wrote::

what are the benefits of having the same sex marriages here in the Phils. Pls. I need help tkns…

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 12:30 am #
  2. hi gud day…baguio ba tlga my same sex marriage?if that so can u email me those info.plan kasi naminpakasal ng american bf q and im gay this feb.dating nya dto to process our papers..pls help me heres my no.09127854274

Monday, January 14, 2013 at 2:03 am #
  3. kung may alam po kayo na may same sex marriage.. pakicontact nalang po ako sa # ko.. 09268302207..thanks and it would be a big help..

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 12:13 am #
  4. 09157594153/ 09489399619 pls mam/sir give me the info. about samesex wedding asap…
    ramrick_delossantos@yahoo.com
    pls

Sunday, September 8, 2013 at 11:44 pm #
  5. gelica castro wrote::

hi san po banda sa pilipinas pwede mag pakasal ng same sex.. call or txt me po sa 09983470110

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 5:54 am #
  6. nehl wrote::

jamjam_0130
    hi,ask ko lng po kng active pa gang ngyn ung ngksal sa inyo.,tnx

Monday, January 26, 2015 at 9:45 am #
  7. jma wrote::

pkitxt nmn po ako agad sa # n2 09065576868.,tnx
    kng cnu man po nkkaalam kng san pde mgpksal d2 sa pinas ang same sex pkitxt n lng po ako salamat po.

Monday, January 26, 2015 at 9:51 am #
  8. alainne14@yahoo.com wrote::

hi po san po pwede mag pakasal sa pilipinas and ano po mga kaylngan na mga paper .. salamat po!

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 9:02 am #
  9. Hi I’m don magtatanung lang po sana aq f san po pwede ikasal d2 s pinas ang same sex may Plano n po kc aqng pakasalan gf q ngyon san pong simbahan d2 s manila pakitxt nlng po d2 sa num n 2 09126783695tnt
    09368255004Tm

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:27 am #

Trackback/Pingback (1)

1. An Editorial Mess - The Splendor of the Church on Monday, September 15, 2014 at 3:32 am

[…] of attitude is dreaming of a France-like Philippines…just like the legalization of ABORTION, GAY MARRIAGE and DIVORCE… dream […]